Networking is like dating. You meet someone who you think is the right person ( enter visibility zone), get to know each other (proceed into the credibility zone) and if this person is someone you feel will be a mutually beneficial connection, you really want to be able to earn their trust (enter into the profitability zone) and you want this relationship to work. Kind of like dating, huh?
Life gets in the way…and you will be stood up for a meeting!
So, you are at Starbucks, Panera Bread, Atlanta Bread Company, or your favorite and productive spots to talk a little business and build profitable relationships. You wait, and wait, and wait. You don’t want to seem to excited, so you wait a little longer, no message or no phone call Ugh! So, you have been stood up for an appointment…I am sure that is is not the first time and for sure will not be the last time.
You finally admit to yourself that you have been stood up and just like dating, it hurts. It hurts bad. You get a little angry,. How dare they. My time is valuable. I’m an important person. First and foremost, get over it and don’t let it ruin your whole day. Don’t take it personal, always take the high road and don’t lay blame. Again, get over it. Now repeat that 3 times.
What is you next step?
- Leave a pleasant voice mail in an understanding tone
- Send an email with the same or similar message including available reschedule time for the following week
- Use the time wisely for returning phone calls, emails or preparing for your next appointment
How to avoid being stood up?
- Confirm your meeting via email and/or phone the night before. Be sure to let them know how important this meeting is to you.
- Block you morning, afternoon or whole day at the location and minimize you travel time and schedule back-to-back meetings
- Be generous with your time but don’t take meeting from just anyone. Your plan should be to increase the value of your network for you and your referral partners.
Hey, You will be stood but but that’s OK. Get over it and get on with business.